Por Espanol: Promesa Continua 2009 -- USNS Comfort

Saturday, April 18, 2009

By: CASSION CARTER, Volunteer

What a great way to spend Good Friday! That was the day I joined the USNS Comfort team, which left Norfolk, VA on April 1st, a proud day and also my birthday!
As a person who is very interested in volunteering to bring help to people in need, I was asked to be part of the volunteer crew of Food for the Poor on the USNS Comfort ship team in order to bring health assistance to the very needy people of Haiti. I’m even more proud to participate because I’m a Haitian and I have witnessed a great deal of surgeries done by the Continuing Promise team. Food For the Poor has a presence in 17 countries to promote well-being, and a very reputable NGO which is why I’m so flabbergasted to be part of this team.
I have no word to explain how happy I was to be welcomed by such great hospitality and meeting very friendly people on board who have inspired me with such a nice vision for humanitarian activities. I was impressed by the ship and how organized it is. Many beneficiaries have been talking about this mission to be done every time why not being constant in Haiti to keep on doing such a good job. From the officers to the translators, everyone worked very hard to carry out this mission,
I thank God first and Food for the Poor second to give me this opportunity to be involved with the Continuing Promise mission team in order to work with such determination.
On April 13th, I was named as the Person of the Day and called up by the mission leadership Commodore Lineberry, Captain Ware and Captain Finger to receive a certificate and a coin of the USNS Comfort ship. Then, it is an honor for me to be recognized for my small contribution to this great and tremendous Mission. I can’t wait to be aboard after two years to keep on such a nice adventure.
I’m so grateful to Food for the Poor and The Continuing Promise mission for giving me such a big chance to serve my community, for which I feel so valuable.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, what a fantastic Good Friday! Thanks for your volunteer work!

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aloha, I'm a pre-dental student in Hawaii, and I heard it might be possible to volunteer as a student on the next mission. Do you know who I need to contact in order to get more information about volunteering? Any direction you can provide would be most appreciated. Thank you so much.

    -Kent
    kentcarollo@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete