Por Espanol: Promesa Continua 2009 -- USNS Comfort

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

HOPE Comes Full Circle in Latin America


LTGJ Hussein

USNS Comfort (T-AH 20)


As LTJG Hussein Rawji gently lifts his MH-60S Knighthawk helicopter off the flight deck, the pitch and roll of the huge ship beneath him becomes immediately more apparent. He quickly gains altitude to get away from the moving landing pad, and speeds away with a team of Project HOPE volunteers in the jumper seats behind him. They quickly near the remote town of Corinto, Nicaragua, leaving the white hull and giant red crosses of the USNS Comfort, the Navy’s floating hospital, far behind.

The team of doctors, nurses, and midwives volunteering with Project HOPE (Health Opportunities for People Everywhere) who are on Lt. Rawji’s helicopter are following a tradition of partnership and co-operation with the US Navy that spans 50 years—back to their namesake, the SS HOPE. The Navy/HOPE team was formed five decades ago, when in 1958 the Navy delivered an ex-supply ship to the infant non-governmental organization (NGO), to be refitted as a hospital ship, the SS Hope, to deliver free health care to the underserved citizens of Latin America and the world.

Hussein has been flying HOPE volunteers all over Latin America for the last three months on the joint Navy/NGO operation Continuing Promise--throughout Haiti, Colombia, Panama, El Salvador. But for Rawji, this flight to Nicaragua is special. It completes a generational circle he couldn’t have dreamed of when he joined the Navy.

Hussein, whose grandparents moved from India to Tanzania, where his parents and he were born, moved to the Miami with his family when he was in high school. He joined the Navy right after graduation, and due to his excellent performance and attitude, was selected to be commissioned as an Officer in 2002. About this time, he made a trip back to Miami to visit his family and met Yesenia Escorcia, the woman who would become his wife three years later. She had moved to Miami from afar as well, coming there with her family as a two-year old.

As Hussein started flight school in 2006, flying in Latin America didn’t even register as a possibility, much less flying in Nicaragua, the land of Yesenia’s heritage.

Yet, here he is, providing high-tech Navy transportation to these HOPE volunteers in rural Corinto, Nicaragua. These volunteers will perform minor and major surgeries, see hundreds of patients, and write thousands of prescriptions—the same work that Yesenia Rawji’s mother, Vilma, did here in Corinto…while she was working onboard the SS Hope nearly 40 years ago.

Project HOPE’s original project, the SS Hope, made a tour of Latin America in the late 1960’s, and stopped here in Corinto. While there, they asked the local medical community for help in delivering primary care and distributing the donated medical supplies. Vilma answered their call, and became one of the earliest HOPE volunteers.

40 years later, having had a daughter, emigrated from her country, and seen her daughter married, Vilma’s legacy of volunteerism, medical aid, and care live on in the next generation.

The ashore landing pad comes into view, and Hussein brings the helo quickly down. As soon as the HOPE volunteers are away, he rises up again and reverses his course—back to the Comfort for the next team of medical professionals ashore. The volunteers squint their eyes to see the helo receding, and as the sound of its steady blades clears the air, they turn towards Corinto—and continue a generation’s worth of work.

13 comments:

  1. As a member of the Project Hope team, I can only thank Hussein for his safe transport and constant smile....what a guy!

    Jan from El Cerrito CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HOW DR PERFECT ENLARGEMENT CREAM HELP ME TO ENLARGE MY PENIS YOU CAN ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP +1(256) 251 3614

      My name is David Richardson from USA I want to share a testimony of how Dr Perfect herbal mixture cream saved me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing and I was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small, a full grown man like me having 3 inches penis and to worsen it I don't last long in sex I can't even last four minutes it was really a big shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor, she never enjoyed sex, I was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when I saw a testimony of how Dr Perfect herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so I decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 10 inches I couldn't believe my eyes and as I speak now my penis is now 10 inches long and I don't have weak erection anymore. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable my wife is now enjoy me very well in bed. All thanks to Dr Perfect for enlarging my penis he indeed save my marriage. You can contact him at solutiontoallproblems1@gmail.com or you can add him up on WhatsApp +1(256) 251 3614. He also specializes in the following things
      Herpes virus
      Cancer
      Hsv
      Chronic venous disease
      and others

      Delete
  2. As a member of the Project Hope team so i think
    Project HOPE’s original project, the SS Hope, made a tour of Latin America in the late 1960’s, and stopped here in Corinto. car rental.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it is a good project .oh yet here is providing hightech navy transpotation to this hope volunteers in rural corinto.thanks.cheap cosmetics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice your posting.
    Everything looks good in your posting.
    That will be necessary for all. Thanks for your posting.
    Bathmate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post.it is necessary for all.as a member of project hope team i hope that ur campaign will successful.thanks for this post.yeast infection

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello friend excellent post about HOPE Comes Full Circle in Latin America, I would like to have any update about it and I also need information about stomach flu symptoms thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I really enjoy it! I learn a lot today! thanks, i want to know if you have any blog about health wellness

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello .. firstly I would like to send greetings to all readers. After this, I recognize the content so interesting

    about this article. For me personally I liked all the information. I would like to know of cases like this more

    often. In my personal experience, I really enjoyed reading about , I think that this Is a very professional

    information, and I would like to know if you know something about eco vacation costa rica

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a nice post. I enjoyed the article from the beginning to the end. I really want to thank you for your great deed. I hope to read more from you on this article.
    3G Mobile Phones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enlarge your penis size safely, Male Enhancement via bigger penis size along with Natural Penis Enlargement methods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this blog is such a great place to learn great things.
    Jelqing

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post you share. I find it excellent and gives full of valuable information. Keep Posting!

    Best Wishes,
    Smith of Male Enhancement

    ReplyDelete