Por Espanol: Promesa Continua 2009 -- USNS Comfort

Friday, June 12, 2009

Juanes Made My Day in Colombia!!


LT Dinorah Cely, USNS Comfort:


I must say, Colombia being one of the countries on our Humanitarian journey was a tremendous motivator for me. As a native Colombian I felt such pride to be coming and assisting my beautiful people. Finding out that Juanes was joining forces with our mission here in Tumaco, validated what I have always thought of this amazing human being. He is really a man of his word and makes it a point to remind his people that they are not forgotten, no matter what region of Colombia they live in or what their social status may be.


While waiting for Juanes in CASREC, my anxiety was high, but I knew I had to stay calm and focused. He is the composer/writer of all his own music, and writes about the reality of life, struggle of the people in Colombia and reminds us that we must not lose hope or faith in what this country and its people can accomplish together. His charisma and humanitarian heart exceeds his artistic talent by far. For Colombian’s living in the USA, he represents pride, hope, commitment and resilience. He is known for being Colombia’s best Ambassador, and this is one of the biggest reasons I am such a fan and why I was so ecstatic to have the pleasure of meeting him.


Juanes turned out to be nicer than I had imagined, he is humble and down to earth. He put me at ease from the moment I introduced myself and it was just so enjoyable being around him. My most memorable experience was his interaction with the children in the inpatient unit. I loved the one on one attention he gave the children and their caretaker by requesting no media coverage so that he could give them his undivided attention.


Having being a part of this event was a privilege and one I will never forget.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for helping us to have an unforgetable experience while we were on the boat. From all translators, we hope you have a good time in the rest of the Mission. We're sure we will never forget everything we lived in the ship, and niether will you.

    Thank you, once again!

    Bárbara Tovar
    Translator form Javeriana University

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was the first female onboard the Comfort in 1988,I can say it will always be in my heart and soul.I am so glad to see what has become of this beautiful ship..I was the first mail buoy watch also.lol. I had so much fun..keep up the great work seaman tammy hale.1988

    ReplyDelete