Por Espanol: Promesa Continua 2009 -- USNS Comfort

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mary's Story


Ali Bowden, RN (LDS Charities:

Yesterday I was blessed to witness the joy that come of strong faith and small miracles. All of the patients I have had the opportunity to care for here aboard the Comfort have a story, but there are definitely some that will remain with me forever; such is the story of Mary Christopher.

Mary was and elderly woman who was brought to our unit post-operatively, after having a cataract removed from her left eye. I helped her to settle into her steel bunk bed, did a thorough assessment, but quickly became busy with other patients – patients who I felt needed more immediate attention. As I worked, however, I began to notice someone softly singing – almost indiscernibly. I looked over to where the sound was coming from, and saw Mary, lying on her side, a huge blue patch over her operative eye, singing quietly to herself. I immediately stopped what I was doing and went to sit with her; and this is how I came to know Mary’s story.

Mary had known that she needed cataract surgery, but had been told by a doctor in Cuba (the closest facility to Antigua that could/would perform this type of surgery) that ‘it wasn’t bad enough yet,’ and that she would have to wait for another year before they would even consider operating. She was discouraged by this as her sight was already severely impaired, and returning to Cuba would be difficult, if not impossible, for her to arrange.

When Mary heard rumor that the USNS Comfort would be coming to Antigua to offer free medical services, she had great hopes that she would see a doctor and get the surgery that she knew she needed so desperately. However, after two full days of standing amid the chaotic mass of people outside the St. John’s Multi-purpose center (where the USNS Comfort providers had set up their ophthalmology clinic), she had not even been successful at obtaining a wrist band – the precious wrist band that would secure her an appointment with the eye doctor. The next day was Sunday and, although Mary wanted desperately to try her luck at the clinic again, she decided that it was more important that she go to church - to worship her Lord and to celebrate Mother’s Day with her family.

On Monday morning, Mary woke at two o’clock a.m. to be sure that she was in line at the clinic by three a.m.. All morning she stood her ground, despite the loud, pushing, and sometimes aggressive crowd. She says she was often worried that she would be pushed over and trampled among the crazy mass of people. Then, a policeman who was manning the throng, noticed Mary struggling to maintain her position and balance; he shoved thought the crowd, approached her and, scolding the others for not being more respectful of this elderly woman, took her to the front of the line.

Mary was then taken by one of the US Military officers to the registration table; she received her arm band, and was lead into the clinic to have her appointment with the ophthalmologist. Two days later, her surgery has been successful and she sits quietly on the 2 AFT Ward, aboard the USNS Comfort, singing a song of praise. After Mary tells me her story, she closes her good eye and begins to sing again - this time much louder, and with greater feeling:

“Why should I feel discouraged?
Why should the shadows come?
Why should my heart be lonely?
and long for heaven and home.

When Jesus is my portion,
My constant friend is he.
His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

I sing because I am happy.
I sing because I am free.

For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.”

Mary repeatedly thanks the Lord, and expresses sincere gratitude to all of us who have cared for her; for we have been an answer to her prayers. She reminds me that the Lord loves his children, and that is mindful of their every need. In her own words: “When me think He no hear, He hear. When me think me prayers no go, He always answer.”

I feel blessed to be a part of Mary’s joy, and to be reminded of this truth – that strong faith in a loving and all knowing God, brings about small, and sometimes great, miracles.

3 comments:

  1. Great story, Ali. Those people are truly blessed to be treated by such a wonderful nurse like you.

    You are my hero.

    johnny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story! I love hearing about what wonderful things the USNS comfort is doing- it makes the sacrifices of your families worth it! A sincere thanks for all you do from the wife of a USNS comfort staff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless your heart, Ali. What an opportunity to live life in such a different way! Gloluja

    ReplyDelete